The "Camp Fire" that devastated the town of Paradise caused a mass evacuation of thousands of residents. They had only minutes to leave. Their worldly possessions consist of whatever they were able to pack into their cars.
Do you have a plan if this were to happen in Chester? Here are some thoughts on the subject.
- Prepare a family evacuation list BEFORE you need one, it's to late to be thoughtful when a crisis occurs.
- Arrange your evacuation list in priority order, you might only have time to grab the most important things.
- Every few years, update your photo or video "inventory" of your home and possessions, put that material on a thumb drive and place it in your bank safe deposit box.
- It's a good idea to periodically review and update your insurance coverage as well.
- Know your exit alternatives: some routes may be blocked by flames, accidents, etc.
- Always keep your vehicle fuel tank at least half full? you don't want to be searching for a gas station
- Have some empty duffle bags available so that you can rapidly stuff essentials into them and toss them in your vehicle.
- Leave early: if in doubt, get out!
-Remember...it's just stuff: the only irreplaceable thing is YOU.